Monday, July 31, 2017

Indigenous Me

My Indigenous Story....

Indigenous Me, 2015

Until recently, I didn't even know I had an Indigenous story.

I'm Canadian, aren't I?

However, what I am as a Canadian is very different than what my neighbour is as a Canadian. I was beginning to feel very confused. We speak the same language but we share completely different perspectives on Canada. 

Why is that?

Through my former Masters program at Wilfrid Laurier University in Community Music, I discovered that I see the world through the experiences that I grew up with, which don't necessarily relate to the experiences of those around me. It absolutely makes sense but I simply was not completely aware of this.

With these new eyes, I'm meeting new people. They're so familiar to me. They're like family to me but we have only just met. They're teaching me and I'm learning so much and I knew that I needed to learn more. I'm now attempting to enter the Masters in Social Work program in Aboriginal Field of Study at Wilfrid Laurier University. I need to connect more with my Indigenous perspective. 

I have so much to learn!

On Wednesday evening, a new friend of mine, Shawn Johnston of Nations and Voices, will be hosting a fundraiser for his inspiring photography project that will give a voice to People of Colour around the world. He's an Indigenous person of Canada who understands the perspective of people of colour. 

He gets me!
I love him!

Shawn will be revealing a picture that he took of me on my 41st birthday weekend, at his fundraiser on Wednesday, August 16th. I was so nervous about him taking my picture and showcasing this side of me that it took months for me to actually do it. He was so patient. He understood my struggle. He waited until I felt comfortable with my voice and now, he will reveal a part of me that I'm still discovering and seeking to understand better.

I feel completely vulnerable but...

I've never felt happier in my life.

Thank you, Shawn for being a teacher of "Indigenous Me."

Come to Shawn's fundraiser on Wednesday night at The Museum in Kitchener. He's been working hard finding sponsors and musicians and will be hosting an incredible evening of Art. Maybe you'll end up buying the picture of me. Good luck, as I'm trying to buy it for myself. 
I hope to see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Daisy for sharing your story and your journey. I wish I could come to the fundraiser but it isn't going to work out. I am positive that the picture will show all of the beauty I have seen in you as we began our journey together in Community Music almost 3 years ago now. Love you.

    ReplyDelete